So the long awaited practicum announcement was made today and I now know what grade and school I will be at for the next 5 weeks.
I will be at Dave Kandal Elementary school here in Abbotsford, and specifically in a grade 4 / skills class. I'm not certain what the 'skills' part is exactly, but my prof insinuated that it has to do with special needs individuals in some way.
I think I am happy with this grade, though I am uncertain that I want to be labeled as a special needs teacher. I should explain that. There are pros and cons to being 'specialized' or experienced in an area. A pro is that I could potentially be more marketable as a TOC and as an applicant to schools. A con is that I might be seen as only a special needs teacher and might always be asked to work in that capacity.
So I am a bit torn as to feeling happy and a bit nervous at this whole prospect. Oh! There is another factor too. There is the possibility that I could be in this classroom for my long practicum in February as well..... which would further reinforce that I am a special needs teacher. BUT at the same time, it is in my favor to stay in that class if I have good relationships with the teachers because they are the ones that write my references for me to get teaching jobs next year. If I decide to chance it and try another grade and school for my 12 weeks prac. then I might not get along with the teacher, or we may have different teaching styles.
Perhaps I am a bit ahead of myself though, because I don't even know if I will get along with the teachers at Dave Kandal. :) Here's hoping that is not an issue.
Yeah, so I'm a bit nervous and I am obviously over thinking life right now, so I should probably just stop, read some of the Bible and get some perspective.
Cool Beans. I shall do just that.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Yeah, Jess !! The long awaited practicum...we'll wait to see what that all looks like. Congrats, my dear!! Grade 4 should be a lot of fun...not too young and not too old!!! Talk to you soon, Love Mom & Dad
I was thinking of writing Yea Jess before I saw mom's writing of Yeah Jess! Anyways, that's very exciting...it'll be nice to get into the classroom again I'm sure. When do you start this?? Hope all your other classes are going well!! Love you!
the third female respondee of the family....who do i find out huge information about your life (i.e. placement) via blog and not late night bed convo before we roll over and sleep????
someone explain this to me. the irony is just too thick.
cool beans! Awe Jess you're going to have a blast. I need to see your face! When are you free???????
Post a Comment